About Leipzig Halle airport
Leipzig/Halle Airport is situated 16 km north west from Leipzig and 22 km south east from Halle (Saale), located in the city Schkeuditz in Saxony and as a result, the airport is often referred to as Schkeuditz Airport. Since the airport opened in 1927, it has taken on greater significance internationally with its air freight service for which it currently ranks second in Germany after Frankfurt Main, fifth in Europe and 26th worldwide. According to its passenger volume in 2015 (2.3 millions), Leipzig/Halle Airport is the 14th biggest airport in Germany. The airport is connected to the S-Bahn (city train) network of Central Germany with its own airport train station.
At Leipzig/Halle Airport, the freight airlines Aerologic and European Air Transport as well as touristic airlines such as Germanwings, Lufthansa, Sun Express, Vueling Airlines, Ryanair, Austrian Airlines, Air Berlin, Condor and many more are well established. Popular travel destinations from this airport are Bangkok, Dubai, Delhi, New York, Washington, London, Los Angeles, Singapur and Shanghai, but also the domestic metropoles Dusseldorf, Cologne, Frankfurt Main, Stuttgart and Munich can be reached from this airport.
Despite many protests, this airport has been built in a strategic location between Leipzig and Halle in 1937 and has once been the fourth busiest airport in Germany. This development has, however, abruptly ended as the airport has been taken over by the German Air Force and was deployed for military purposes. In April 1944, a large part of the airport grounds was destroyed by bombs of the Allies. After the Second World War, the airfield was merely used as a factory field and efforts of the GDR (former East Germany) to develop the air traffic led to the construction of a longer runway in 1957, which, however, initially didn’t find a use. In the following years, the airport has been gradually expanded and enlarged, so that in 1972 the airport was capable of offering flights throughout the year.
After the German reunification, Terminal A was modernised and for the first time in 1992, the passenger volume increased to one million. To satisfy the increasing demand for charter flights, Terminal C was built and opened in 1993, leading to an increase of the passenger volume by half and in 1994 the foundation stone for Terminal B was laid and the new terminal opened in 1996. Since the induction of Terminal B, Terminal C became unavailable for passenger traffic and since then serves as the terminal for freight and mail traffic. In 2003, the Terminal B was fitted with a check-in area, as well as a shopping mall.
At Leipzig/Halle Airport, there are about 5.000 parking space available, of which 2.000 are situated in a covered car park. Flight passengers who are seeking a cheaper alternative at Leipzig/Halle Airport, can book their parking on this website in a covered or uncovered car park, situated just 6 minutes from the airport. The parking provider MP mein Parkplatz offers a free shuttle service, which transports customers to their departure terminal at the airport and picks them up again upon their return. The parking area of this parking provider is monitored 24 hours a day with CCTV and by staff and the barriers offer additional security.
For more information about the different parking products at Leipzig/Halle Airport, our multilingual customer service team will gladly assist you by telephone and e-mail.